Nepalese army officials say at least 96 Maoist rebels and three soldiers were killed in a major clash earlier this week.
An army official said today (Saturday) that government forces had recovered at least 46 more bodies of rebels killed in the late Thursday attack on a security forces base in western Rukum district.
Today's announcement almost doubled earlier official estimates of the rebel death toll.
The military says the attack on the base, located 400 kilometers west of Kathmandu, lasted for 12 hours.
Separately, officials say at least two people were killed and at least 13 more were wounded in a bomb attack on a bus in southern Nepal. Also, two Russian tourists enroute to the base camp of Mount Everest were hurt when their vehicle hit a landmine
Maoist rebels are fighting to topple the monarchy.