Red Cross officials in the Philippines estimate that about 200 people are dead and 15-hundred others missing after a massive landslide in the eastern part of the country.
Officials say the landslide buried at least one village near the town of St. Bernard in the southern part of Leyte island on Friday. At least 36 survivors have been found and at least 15 bodies have been recovered.
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies says it has released 152-thousand dollars in emergency funds to provide assistance.
White House spokesman Trent Duffy told reporters the United States has dispatched two ships to the area to assist in relief efforts.
Philippine President Gloria Arroyo had deployed the country's military for search, rescue and recovery efforts.
Officials say heavy rains in the past two weeks probably caused the landslide.
President Bush expressed sincere condolences on behalf fo the United States to the people of the Philippines.
Leyte Governor Rosette Lerias says many residents evacuated the area last week due to the threat of landslides and flooding, but returned home when the rain began to subside.
Like much of the eastern Visayas island group, Leyte has experienced heavy rain for about 10 days. More than 20 people were killed in landslides earlier this week on the island.