United States and Afghan military officials say a major operation to crackdown on insurgents in southern Afghanistan has left scores of rebel fighters dead.
A coalition statement released on Saturday said at least 65 were killed during hours of fierce fighting in separate battles with U.S.-led coalition forces in Kandahar and Uruzgan province.
In Kandahar on Friday, officials said 25 militants were killed. The statement also said some insurgents used Afghan civilians as human shields and escaped into nearby villages.
In Uruzgan, officials say as many as 40 militants were killed when coalition forces responded to a rebel attack.
More than 10-thousand Afghan and coalition troops are involved in sweep of southern Afghanistan. The drive is described as one of the largest offensives since the Taleban was driven from power in 2001.
At least 100 militants have been killed since the operation began earlier this month.