Indian actor and Bollywood movie star Sanjay Dutt has been sentenced to six years in prison for illegally acquiring arms from gangsters involved in the deadly 1993 bombings in Mumbai.
Judge Pramod Kode on Tuesday gave Dutt the jail term for unauthorized possession of an automatic rifle and pistol. The judge said that although it is not clear if the actor intended to commit an act of terrorism, having the weapons showed a lack of respect for the law.
Dutt said he got the weapons for personal protection -- an argument the prosecution dismissed.
Last year, the actor was cleared of the more serious charge of conspiracy in the bomb attacks, which killed 257 people.
One hundred people have been convicted of involvement in the bombings during a 12-year trial. Twelve have been sentenced to death. Twenty others were given life prison terms.
The alleged masterminds of the attacks - Tiger Memon and Dawood Ibrahim - remain at large.
Paramashish Ghosh Roy has more on the story.