The government has sought $150 million from donors in aid to cope with the flood aftermath, a top official said Sunday. Officials urged the donors to release the fund on an emergency basis for post-flood rehabilitation—apart from their committed funds for development in Bangladesh.
Finance secretary Mohammad Tareque briefed donors and other international organisations on the floods that ravaged major parts of Bangladesh, at a meeting at the Planning Commission Sunday.
World Bank country director Xian Zhu said the donors had been closely observing the devastating flood situation in Bangladesh. Xian said that they agreed to help Bangladesh with additional aid. But the size of that assistance hasn't been determined yet.
He added that they were also assessing the flood damage on their own and said, that the amount of additional assistance would be announced after integrating the flood damage data.