Chinese emergency crews are working to secure 15 sources of radiation buried in the wreckage from last week's powerful earthquake, as local officials estimate it could take up to three years to rebuild devastated areas.
China's vice environment minister Wu Xiaoqing says there have been no accidental releases of radiation. China says all nuclear facilities in the quake zone are safe, but Wu says 15 sources of radiation are still buried under rubble or in buildings too dangerous for technicians to enter.
Wu did not say what the sources of radiation were, but China's largest nuclear weapons facility is located in quake-struck Sichuan province. China's massive May 12th quake killed more than 55-thousand and left nearly 25-thousand others missing. It also destroyed millions of buildings and left more than five million homeless. U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon will visit the devastated region Saturday.