Indian police have released the names of nine suspected gunmen killed
during last month's three-day terrorist siege in Mumbai, which also
claimed the lives of more than 170 people.
A police investigator (Rakesh Maria) said Tuesday that authorities have
uncovered new details about the suspects and traced their hometowns to
Police also released the gunmen's aliases and showed photographs of
eight of the suspects.
A photo of the ninth gunman was withheld because
his body was too badly burned.
Also Tuesday, the Pentagon welcomed Pakistan's raids on alleged
terrorist bases in the northwest, which are reported to have netted the
alleged mastermind of the Mumbai attacks.
But Pentagon press secretary Geoff Morrell stressed that counter-terror
efforts must be made on
In New York, India urged the U.N. Security Council to declare the
Islamic charity Jammat-ud-Dawa a terrorist outfit. The charity is
widely regarded as a front for the banned Lashkar-e-Taiba militant
India has identified the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba as the prime
suspect in the attacks. Indian Minister of State for External Affairs
E. Ahamed called on the
15-member body to help punish anyone responsible for the Mumbai carnage
by adding them to a U.N. terrorism blacklist.
Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari said in an opinion piece in "The
New York Times" Tuesday that Islamabad is committed to finding and
punishing all those responsible for the attacks.
However, Pakistani officials say they will not turn over suspects to
India. Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi says Pakistan will take
action against them in its own legal system.