U.S. Army officials say the alleged gunman in last week's shooting rampage at Fort Hood -- Major Nidal Malik Hasan -- has been charged with 13 counts of premeditated murder.
A spokesman for the Army's criminal investigation division announced the charges Thursday at Fort Hood in Texas, and said it is possible additional charges could be added as the investigation continues.
Meanwhile, President Barack Obama has ordered a review of all intelligence related to Hasan. In a memorandum, the president said the review would determine if government agencies shared and properly acted upon intelligence information about the suspect before the shooting. Hasan is accused of opening fire on unarmed soldiers at the military base as the troops were preparing for deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan. Thirteen people were killed.
Authorities are investigating motives for the attack amid concerns that authorities missed warning signs that could have prevented the rampage that also injured 30 people.U.S. media reports Wednesday, citing unnamed military officials, said doctors that reviewed Hasan a year ago held a series of meetings where they discussed problems with his performance and mental state.
Colleagues described Hasan, a psychiatrist, as aloof, belligerent and frequently argumentative when discussing his Muslim faith. The officials decided against seeking his removal because they did not believe him to be violent and they thought his transfer to Fort Hood in July would help lessen his workload. Hasan, who was shot multiple times by civilian police during the attack, is recovering at an Army hospital near San Antonio.