The suspect in the failed Christmas Day (December 25)
attempt to blow up a U.S.-bound jetliner is scheduled to make his first court appearance Friday.
U.S. prosecutors say Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab will hear the charges against him during the arraignment in (the U.S. city of)
A federal grand jury earlier this week indicted the 23-year-old
Nigerian on six criminal counts, including attempted use of a weapon of
mass destruction and attempted murder. He could face life in prison.
Prosecutors say Abdulmutallab tried to detonate explosives concealed in his underwear during a flight from Amsterdam to Detroit.
Security will be at its highest level at the courthouse. Protesters are
expected outside, including one Muslim group that plans to denounce the
suspect's alleged actions.
U.S. President Barack Obama Thursday said U.S. agencies failed to
"connect and understand" intelligence that could have stopped the
attempted terror attack.
President Obama said he takes responsibility for the systems
shortcomings and ordered almost a dozen changes in the way potential
threats are handled.
He said the U.S. will train hundreds of additional air marshals (undercover law enforcement officials on flights)
to help provide security.
He spoke as the White House released a summary of its preliminary
review of the attack. Authorities are looking into how Abdulmutallab
allegedly brought explosives on board and was able to travel to the
United States, even after U.S. intelligence agencies were warned about
his possible ties to extremists.
Abdulmutallab's name was included in a broad database of individuals
who are suspected of having some link to terrorism. But he was not on
higher-profile watch lists that might have caught the attention of
security screeners. This has raised questions about communication among
government agencies and among countries.