Kenya's police chief says 12 people have been detained for questioning about Thursday's bomb attack on an Israeli-owned resort hotel and the failed attempt to shoot down an Israeli charter airliner.
Meanwhile, the death toll from the suicide bombing at the Paradise Hotel rose to 16 today (Friday) as rescue workers recovered another body from the rubble. Among the dead were three Israelis, 10 Kenyans and three suicide bombers.
The Kenyan police chief (Commissioner Philemon Abong'o) said two people were arrested within minutes of the attack on the hotel and investigators later detained 10 others.
He did not disclose the nationalities of those arrested. But police officials said earlier at least three of them were foreign nationals. News reports say two of the detainees may have used American passports to enter Kenya.
Israeli and American investigators are working with Kenyan officials to find those responsible for the coordinated attacks.
Minutes before the hotel bombing, two missiles were fired at an Israeli charter airliner taking off from Mombasa airport. The plane was not hit and arrived safely in Israel. Kenyan officials say they found one missile launcher and two missile casings near the airport.
Israel has flown home 235 tourists, 15 people injured in the blast, and the bodies of three Israelis who were killed in the blast.
In Lebanon, a previously unknown group calling itself The Army of Palestine claimed responsibility for the attacks.