Officials in the Philippines now fear almost all of the 18-hundred residents of Guinsaugon died in the massive landslide that buried the village on eastern Leyte island early Friday.
Authorities say only 57 people have been found alive and that the chances of finding more survivors are fading. At least forty-six bodies have been recovered so far.
Hopes had been raised on Saturday when Philippine President Gloria Arroyo passed along reports that electronic text messages had been received from survivors buried in a village school house. But those reports could not be confirmed and efforts to find survivors at the school were unsuccessful.
Officials say rescue efforts have been hampered by continuous rain, blocked roads and unstable mud.
President Arroyo has deployed the military for rescue and recovery efforts. Several countries, including the United States, are supplying monetary and military aid.
Authorities say the landslide was most likely caused by weeks of heavy rain.
Officials say 11 more villages in the area have been evacuated because of concerns over more landslides. The residents are being moved to evacuation centers.
The United Nations says it is sending a team to help local officials determine emergency needs, and is providing the Philippines with a 50-thousand dollar emergency grant.
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies says it has released 152-thousand dollars in emergency funds.
The United States has dispatched two Navy ships to the area to assist in relief efforts. The ships were already in the Philippines for military exercises. The U.S. Embassy in Manila says 17 helicopters and one thousand Marines will be sent to the area by daybreak Sunday.
Australia has pledged 740-thousand dollars in immediate relief.