The UN Security Council is reviewing a draft resolution calling for a full cessation of hostilities between Israel and Hezbollah militants.
The resolution introduced by the United States and France Saturday calls for Hezbollah to end its rocket attacks on Israel and Israeli forces to stop all military operations.
Reaction to the proposed resolution was mixed, with President Bush and British Prime Minister Tony Blair both backing the bid to end the nearly month-long fighting.
Hezbollah leaders, however, say the group will only accept a ceasefire once all Israeli troops have left Lebanon. An Israeli official, meanwhile, called the resolution important but said Israeli forces will continue fighting in the coming days.
Earlier this month, Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert said his country will continue its offensive until an international force is in place.
Prior to Saturday's Security Council meeting, the French ambassador to the United Nations, said it was important to have a lasting solution to the crisis. He said the text of the proposed resolution calls for both Lebanon and Israel to approve the resolution.