The U.S.-led coalition, Afghan government and the United Nations have agreed to
jointly investigate last week's U.S. air strike that witnesses say killed some
90 civilians in western Afghanistan.
A spokesman for the NATO-led force
(Brigadier General Richard Blanchette) today (Saturday) announced
the joint probe to clear up discrepancies in casualty figures.
U.S.-led coalition has said five civilians and 25 militants were killed on
August 22nd, when troops called in air strikes following an attack by militants
in the village of Azizabad in Herat province.
Afghan officials dispute
the number, saying 90 civilians, most of them children, were killed. The United
Nations has said it found "convincing evidence" of the higher death toll after
an on-scene investigation.
U.N. officials today confirmed that all sides
had agreed to investigate the incident together.
NATO and U.S. military
officials insist they take great care in targeting air strikes, but militants
frequently hide in civilian areas.
today, Afghan officials say international soldiers have survived a suicide
bombing in the capital of Kabul. They say the bomber blew up his
explosive-filled vehicle today, but failed to inflict any casualties on the
troops or nearby civilians.
The U.S.-led coalition says its forces killed
several militants in clashes and air strikes in Kapisa province, not far from
Kabul. Officials say the fighting took place Friday, and that air strikes were
called in after coalition forces came under attack.