The White House has dismissed North Korea's latest threats as "saber
rattling" and "bluster" aimed at getting attention from the
North Korea said it will take military action against South Korea if it participates in a U.S.-led effort to intercept ships suspected of carrying weapons of mass destruction. The North Korean military also said Pyongyang will no longer be bound by the armistice that ended the Korean War.
White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said this is the fifth time in the last 15 years that Pyongyang has threatened to nullify the 1953 armistice that ended the three-year war.
Gibbs said threats will not get North Korea what it wants, and suggested that Pyongyang instead focus on fulfilling its international obligations.
U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said Wednesday there will be consequences of what she called North Korea's "provocative and belligerent" behavior. Clinton said the United Nations Security Council is working on a resolution to add to the consequences of North Korea's actions.
But she said the intention will be to convince North Korea to return to denuclearization talks.
Also Wednesday, Russia's Foreign Ministry said it summoned North Korea's ambassador to express concern about the test and call on Pyongyang to return to six-nation denuclearization talks.
Members of the U.N. Security Council met Tuesday with Japanese and South Korean officials to discuss a response to Monday's nuclear test. No meeting was set for Wednesday, and a resolution is not expected until next week.
The U.S. State Department would not confirm South Korean media reports about additional North Korean missile tests on Wednesday, as well as reported moves to restart the country's nuclear processing facility at Yongbyon.
South Korea's Yonhap news agency has reported that North Korea fired five short-range missiles off its eastern coast on Monday and Tuesday, and has warned ships to stay away from waters off its western coast through Wednesday.
South Korea's "Chosun Ilbo" newspaper said it has learned from an anonymous government official that U.S. spy satellites have detected steam coming from a reprocessing plant on the complex.
Pyongyang began dismantling the Yongbyon facility in 2007 as part of a deal reached through the six-nation disarmament talks. But it vowed to restart the facility last month after the U.N. Security Council condemned the North's test-firing of a long-range missile.