Iraq's Defense minister has dismissed as "baseless" reports that Iraqi forces have captured one of the most wanted members of Saddam Hussein's ousted dictatorship.
In an interview with Lebanon's Al Hayat LBC television, Hazem Shaalan said on Sunday the defense ministry has "no information" regarding the alleged arrest of Izzat Ibrahim al-Douri.
The comment came hours after a defense ministry spokesman and other Iraqi officials said the former second-in-command to Saddam Hussein had been captured in Tikrit by Iraqi forces, backed by US troops.
The US military has also said it has no information on the alleged capture.
Iraqi authorities say they have taken a blood sample from the captured man to confirm his identity.
US officials have offered a $10 million reward for help in capturing Mr. al-Douri, who is accused of supporting militants in Iraq.