Israel has approved a series of military actions against Palestinian extremists linked to Monday's suicide bombing at an Israeli shopping mall that killed five people. Media reports said operations were expected to begin late Monday and include targeted killings of militant leaders.
Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz said he was seeking approval to resume the practice of demolishing the homes of suicide bombers, halted earlier this year. Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility for the attack in the northern town of Netanya, which also injured about 50 people.
An Israeli policewoman and a security guard helped prevent the bomber from detonating his explosives near the crowded entrance of the shopping mall. The blast killed the guard and injured the police officer. Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas condemned the attack and ordered Palestinian security forces to arrest those involved. U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice urged Palestinian officials to crack down on terrorist activity.