India's defense minister says his country is not preparing
military action against Pakistan in retaliation for last month's terrorist
attacks on Mumbai.
A.K. Antony said in New Delhi (Tuesday) that war is not an option as a response to the assault that left more than 170 people dead.
The defense minister was responding to journalists' questions about troop deployments along the border, as well as reported preparations for military action with neighboring Pakistan.
Antony also denied that India plans to end its five-year cease-fire along the military line of control in the disputed Kashmir region.
But Indian Foreign Minister Pranab Mukherjee later said there has been a "pause" in peace talks between India and Pakistan because of the Mumbai attacks.
He told reporters in Indian-controlled Kashmir today that Pakistan must crack down on militants in the country, saying words must be followed with action.