The only surviving suspect in last year's terror attack in Mumbai,
India, pleaded guilty Monday, reversing his initial plea in a dramatic
Twenty-one year old Mohammed Ajmal Kasab, a Pakistani national, is the only gunman out of 10 who survived the attacks. The attacks killed 166 people, spanned three days and involved multiple targets, including luxury hotels, a rail station and a Jewish Center.
The public prosecutor in the case, Ujjwal Nikam, says he was shocked by the guilty plea, adding that Kasab had pleaded not guilty when the trial began in May.
Kasab face 86 charges, including waging war on India, murder and possessing explosives.
During his confession, Kasab described arriving in India from Pakistan via boat and carrying out the assault. The public prosecutor says it is up to the court to accept his guilty plea.
The attacks brought a slow-moving peace process between India and Pakistan to a halt. India accused Pakistan-based fighters from the banned militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba of carrying out the attacks.
Pakistan initially denied any responsibility, but later admitted the attacks, which killed 166 people, had been partly planned on its soil.