An Indian security official says the bodies of five hostages have been recovered from the Chabad House Jewish center in Mumbai, where commando operations appear to be winding down.
In an interview on local television (NDTV) on Friday, the director general of India's National Security Guards, J.K. Dutt, did not provide details about the dead hostages' identities. He also said that security forces have killed two terrorists at the Chabad House. Israeli officials earlier said at least 10 Israelis were being held hostage at the Jewish center.
The U.S. State Department said Friday that two U.S. citizens were also killed in the attacks. Today, Friday, Indian commandos reported they took control of the Oberoi-Trident hotel. But the battle rages on at the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel, where the night sky is punctuated by fresh blazes and sounds of sporadic gunfire.
British authorities on Friday say they are investigating reports that the Mumbai attackers could include British citizens of Pakistani origin.Britain's Prime Minister Gordon Brown said it is too early to reach any conclusions. But British security sources say they are probing India's claims that two gunmen who have been arrested are British born. Beginning Wednesday, groups of attackers launched an unprecedented, highly coordinated series of attacks on multiple locations throughout the financial capital.
At least 140 people have been killed and 300 wounded. Foreigners and high-ranking police are among the dead.Shortly after the attacks began, Indian media reports said a previously unknown group, called Deccan Mujahideen, had claimed responsibility. It is not clear if that claim is credible.
Police say they have arrested several militants, including three suspected members of the Pakistan-based militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba. An Indian commando told reporters that the militants were well-trained and that it was clear they knew the layout of the buildings they attacked.
Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said on Thursday he will tell "neighbors" that the use of their territory for launching terrorist attacks will not be tolerated.In response, Pakistan's foreign minister, Shah Mehmood Qureshi, told reporters to avoid jumping to conclusions.